Thursday, July 9, 2015

VAULT by VANSxTAKASHI MURAKAMI


It was back in 2009 during the Art Basel Miami Beach when I first heard the name Takashi Murakami, but I find it very interesting that I’ve known his work ever since 2007. Kanye West’s third studio album under Roc-A-Fella Records, “Graduation”, featured his signature “Dropout Bear” character but with a twist of colorful perfection.

When I saw the transition from The College Dropout to Graduation I noticed the Kanye West brand was taking a turn into familiar territory, anime/ Japanese influences. (“Stronger” music video based on animated cult classic “Akira”, I saw it early) Even though it was easy to recognize that his influences were focusing/turning eastward in his music and fashion it was the colors that grabbed me. From the soft pink clouds of the sky to the bright, multicolored reflections in the bears eyes I was smitten by Murakami’s color palette.

Showered in a full gambit of vibrant color and imagery my eyes were opened to new possibilities all in one bright flash. Once upon a time I suffered from Chromophobia, the fear of color, due to my neighborhood’s homophobic curse but due to researching my new found love of Superflat I found that color evokes emotion and emotion activates the soul. 


Knowing very little about the style’s origin I was taken by Murakami’s strange characters and vibrant colors and for years I incorporated what I saw. I know that this is a long , drawn out, gushy journey down memory lane but there is a reasons…it’s escaping me but Murakami and Vans decided to collaborate with one another to create The Vault Collection.


(I’ve been outside of the pop culture bubble for a while now but I think it’s safe to say that I’ve died and gone to Superflat Heaven)



The limited edition Vault Collection released from Vans in collaboration with contemporary artist Takashi Murakami was designed on the Classic Slip-On, skateboard decks and apparel in late June. Thanks to the lovely people over at Instagram I have been reunited with the source of my artistic evolution, the one and only Takashi Murakami (@takashipom)

No comments:

Post a Comment